Labor Day is approaching quickly, and it’s time we turn our attention from what has been a truly glorious summer on the shores of Leech Lake and look forward to the fall colors to come in the months ahead. Fall in Minnesota is special. As the days grow shorter and the temperatures cool into brisk fall days, you’ll soon see why.
This fall, come spend the perfect few days soaking up Minnesota’s glorious fall colors along the shores of Leech Lake. Whether you’re just coming here for a little bit of leaf-peeping or want to join in more adventurous activities like biking, hiking, and fishing, our lakeside resort is the perfect place to land. Book your room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast today.
The Best Fall Colors Near Leech Lake, Minnesota
Leech Lake in northern Minnesota is a wonderful place to enjoy the changing colors of fall. Leech Lake is approximately 3 hours away from Minneapolis/St. Paul, Duluth, and Fargo, yet it feels like its a world away. There are plenty of ways to enjoy Minnesota’s fall colors, and staying at our lakefront Bed and Breakfast tops the list.
Keep an eye on Minnesota’s fall color tracker, and start planning the getaway of a lifetime. You can expect fall colors to peak towards the end of September through the middle of October. Once you’ve arrived, here are 5 great ways to take your fall getaway from the ordinary to the extraordinary.
- Take a hike along the North Country Scenic Nature Trail. Eventually, this trail will connect the Lewis & Clark Trail in western North Dakota with the Appalachian Trail in upstate New York and will be the longest continuous footpath in the United States. For now, enjoy the finished portion around Leech Lake, and take in the scenic wilderness lakes and wetlands, and enjoy the walk through hundred-year-old stands of white and red pine forest this fall.
- Go biking along the Heartland State Trail, known as Minnesota’s oldest paved trail. The trail is 27 miles long and features exceptional views of the rugged lakes and forest, which shines with fiery reds, yellows, and oranges each fall. Another great trail for biking is the Paul Bunyon State Trail. As always, bikes are included in your stay at Leech Lake Bed and Breakfast Resort.
- Take a scenic drive through North Woods lake country, and take in Minnesota’s fall colors along Highway 34. The scenic byway heads southwest from Walker through Park Rapids and on to Detroit Lakes.
- Head out on the lake for a little fishing, and take in the fall colors that light up the shoreline of Leech Lake. The fish bite year-round on the lake, and you’ll enjoy far less boat traffic during these scenic fall months. If you just want to get out on the lake without the fishing, we have boats for you, included with your stay at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast.
- Enjoy a quiet afternoon of birdwatching around the lake. Great places for birding include Itasca State Park, where you’ll find the headwaters of the Mississippi River, and Chippewa National Forest, known for its large population of breed bald eagles. You don’t even have to travel far for exceptional birdwatching on the lake. Enjoy it from right here on our porch!
When you’re ready to unwind in the evenings, there’s nowhere better than the Leech Lake Bed and Breakfast Resort. Sit around our porch firepit in the evenings and take in the incredible lake views stretching out before you, and wake up to a glorious sunrise over Leech Lake and a gourmet breakfast made-from-scratch each morning. Life on the lake doesn’t get much better than this. Book your room at our Minnesota Bed and Breakfast today.